2 give off, send forth, or discharge; as of light, heat, or radiation, vapor, etc.; "The ozone layer blocks some harmful rays which the sun emits" [syn: give out, give off] [ant: absorb]
3 express audibly; utter sounds (not necessarily words); "She let out a big heavy sigh"; "He uttered strange sounds that nobody could understand" [syn: utter, let out, let loose] [also: emitting, emitted]
to send out or give off
- Plural of emi
Emit may refer to:
- Emit, North Carolina, an unincorporated community
- Em:t Records, a British record label that specializes in ambient music. Technically the name has a colon in place of the letter "I", but it is pronounced (and often erroneously written) like the common word "emit".
- Cornish derogatory slang for a tourist or newcomer, especially one that has a second home or attempts to drive inappropriately large cars around country lanes or villages. This derives from the Cornish word for 'ant'. Pronounced Em-mit rather than e-MIT.
- EMIT or Enzyme Multiplied Immunoassay Technique, a common drug test
- EMIT (corporation), Norwegian timing equipment manufactor
aerate, aerify, articulate, atomize, bleed, blow, breathe, breathe out, bring out, carbonate, chime, chlorinate, chorus, come out with, communicate, convey, deliver, discharge, disclose, disembogue, distill, drip, effuse, egest, eject, eliminate, emanate, enunciate, etherify, etherize, evacuate, evaporate, excrete, exfiltrate, exhale, exhaust, expel, expire, express, extravasate, extrude, exudate, exude, filter, filtrate, fling off, flow, fluidize, formulate, fractionate, fume, fumigate, gasify, get off, get out, give, give expression, give forth, give off, give out, give out with, give tongue, give utterance, give vent to, give voice, hydrogenate, impart, issue, leach, let out, lip, lixiviate, loose, ooze, open the floodgates, open the sluices, out with, oxygenate, pass, pass off, percolate, perfume, phonate, phrase, pour, pour forth, pour out, present, pronounce, puff, put forth, put in words, put out, radiate, raise, reek, release, say, secrete, seep, send forth, send out, set forth, smoke, sound, spray, steam, strain, sublimate, sublime, tell, throw off, transpire, transude, utter, vapor, vaporize, vent, verbalize, vocalize, voice, void, volatilize, weep, whisper, word